You know that feeling when your just living life and you look up and think " wow! How did we get here!" That was exactly my feeling as I looked from the little couch I called my bed, in my mom's hospital room, toward the hospital bed where my mom was getting up again to use the commode chair by the bed. Her head was bald, attached to her were many wires recording her oxygen level, her heart rate and rhythm, and other stuff I have no idea about. She was wearing a hospital gown with some sort of small print design probably intended to make you feel "upbeat" about being where you are. Her breathing labored from the pneumonia and the lung cancer, the chemo and radiation. I'll have to be honest and say that I really did think that. How did we get here from where we were. Both just living life taking care of our own business, talking usually once a day, keeping in touch. It's all so surreal. What happened? I blinked and in the space of that one small moment in time someone picked up the sno-globe where I live and shook it up. Presto! Here we are in Cancerville and all I want to do is click my ruby red slippers and go back home.
No comments:
Post a Comment